When playing pickleball, it is essential to have the right pickleball sneakers or shoes. You need pickleball sneakers that will provide good traction and stability on the court. If not, you are putting yourself at risk for a sprained ankle, tendon strain–or worse.
In this post, we will discuss the different shoes that are best for playing pickleball, as well as some tips on choosing the right pair for you. So, whether you are a beginner or an experienced player, read on to learn more about picking out the perfect pickleball sneakers!
The First Rule: Do NOT Play Pickleball in Running Sneakers
Many shoes designed for other sports are created to support forward motion, including jumping, running, weight-training, etc. But since pickleball demands lots of herky-jerky movements, you’ll need a sneaker built to handle side-to-side movements and the start-stop nature of the game.
What Does the Perfect Pickleball Shoe Look Like?
When choosing pickleball shoes, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- You need to make sure that the shoes have good traction. This will help you to move around the court without slipping.
- You want to find shoes that are comfortable and provide good support. You will be spending a lot of time on your feet, so it is vital to have shoes that will not cause pain or discomfort.
- You want to make sure that the shoes are durable and can withstand the wear and tear of playing pickleball.
While the sport doesn’t boast the sneaker-destroying toe drag of tennis, you’ll be surprised at how quickly pickleball can wear your shoes down.
Tips for Purchasing Pickleball Shoes
Now that you know what to look for in pickleball shoes, here are a few tips on how to purchase them.
– First, decide what type of surface you will be playing on to narrow down your choices. Different types of shoes are designed for different surfaces, so it is important to choose the right pair.
– Second, consider your budget. Pickleball shoes can range in price from around $30 to $200. If you are a pickleball beginner, you may want to start with a cheaper pair of shoes. However, if you are an experienced player, you may want to invest in a more expensive pair of shoes that will last longer.
-Third, try on the shoes before you purchase them. It is important to make sure that they fit well and are comfortable. You should also walk around in them to make sure that they provide good traction and support. 90% of online retailers allow for sneaker returns as long as the product is “unworn.” I generally like to walk around my house for a day in new sneakers to ensure the fit works for my feet. If not, send ’em back at the retailer’s expense.
-Last but not least, know thy foot! If your feet run hot, you will want to set your sights on a sneaker comprised of fabric or mesh, as breathability will be a factor. If you know you are heavy on your feet, look for a lightweight pickleball shoe. Above all, remember that you are likely playing pickleball for fun–keep your feet happy!
How Long Do Pickleball Sneakers Last?
As a general rule, pickleball shoes should be replaced after approximately 60 hours of play. Even if the sole hasn’t worn away and the sneakers look reasonably fresh, both cushion and support can degrade rapidly, unseen to the naked eye.
The ideal pickleball shoe is a court shoe or tennis shoe that offers excellent comfort, after all, you’re spending 100% of your time standing. You’ll also want rubber soles for superior grip, solid ankle support, and a sole that features tread that is conducive to quick lateral movement.
Our Top 5 Pickleball Sneakers
Tyrol – Drive V Men’s Pickleball Shoe